Thursday, October 10, 2013

The fast ones // "Man On the Radio" (working song + audio)

I love when a song comes to me super fast.  It's like the songwriting-gods above have showered me with undeserved inspiration and I'm just sitting there with my hands open going, "yes, yes, give them to me."  Those moments are definitely rare, and it's best to take advantage of them when they come (usually that means dropping what I'm doing, grabbing a paper and pen and sitting there as long as it takes).  I always feel a little skeptical afterwards, though. I try to go over what I wrote and make sure I'm not just feeling too attached to it for some reason or another; I try to take a few steps back...  Still, is there anything more satisfying?

Here's one I wrote on my uke in about 15 minutes last week, the day after I got back from Nashville. Ironically, I had gone there to write new songs, and didn't finish a single one (unless you count the one I had started with my cowriter Marc last year and finally finished during the trip). I guess that's how it goes. What the gods give, they taketh away... ;)  Anyway, this one's about falling in love with a voice that you hear on the radio and being content with drawing up the whole love story in your head...without actually needing to meet the dude. Tell me I'm not the only one this happens to...

"Man on the Radio" 

written by Alfa Garcia (BMI) 2013. All Rights Reserved.


Oh boy, you don't know me but I think I know you
'cause there's something about the way you sing to me.
Like you've read into parts of me no one sees
and I can't help but fall for your understanding.

Oooooh, oooooh
Oooooh, oooooh. (repeat)

There is no need for a formal face-to-face
to be honest, I'm fine learning you line-by-line in my room.
'Cause in my head there is no one for me but you
I have got you pegged as a man with a plan, who's a good list'ner too
(yes, that's you)

Oooooh, oooooh
Oooooh, oooooh. (repeat)

I swear you're singing right to me
like I'm never out of reach.
Well, you must have found a back door to my heart
'cause it feels like you've been there from the start
and I know you don't know me, but I think that I love you
I think I love...love you. (repeats on this line?)
Man on the radio
Man on the radio
Man on the radio
Man on the radio... 
------------------------------------------

I had the chance to play this at FilAmFest in San Diego this weekend. It was my last song, and I think the reaction was pretty cool. Admittedly, though, this songs relies on the melody and delivery. I think there's a lot of room to make it one of those fun, short stints (it clocks in at just about 3 minutes) that elicits a quick reaction, rather than long-lasting thought.  I am not opposed to these kinds of songs... I think there's room for them.  But also, this one's just freakin' fun to sing.  :)  

Anyway, here's a rough track I did on my iPhone. In this version, I had switched the 2 parts of verse 2, but I think I'm going to go with the version in the lyrics above. Also, I pulled a little Bob Dylan towards the end... ha. I crack myself up.


No comments:

Post a Comment