Sunday, November 1, 2009

The quiet after, and before.

Last weekend was a blur, but a blast all the same. And what a blast it was!

Last Sat., I got to speak at a workshop all about being an indie artist, and then played two songs during their variety show. Plus I got to meet some new fans of the music - probably the coolest part. :)

Here's my performance of "Love as Tragedy: A Play in 3 Acts" at U. of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.

This is my manager, Jon, after hijacking my camera while I was taking a shower in the hotel room, haha...
This is Manny Garcia - an excellent singer/songwriter from Chicago who reminds me of Michael Buble... sigh. :) I think he's perusing my echinacea pills (I had to bring it to help keep my sickness down, as I was really under the weather all weekend). The next dawn I flew out to Baltimore to catch a benefit show in Fort Washington, MD, hosted by an old songwriter friend, Rod Garcia (wow, a lot of Garcias last weekend, I'm realizing!). The show was to benefit the victims of the recent typhoons and floods in the Philippines.

It was really neat meeting Charmaine Clamor, an acclaimed jazz singer, who was gracious and friendly and such a talent. Check her out if you can.
And this is Gina, who came up to me before the show and told me she'd figured out the piano parts to "Supergirl" and pretty much memorized all the tracks on "Second Skin." She just really rocks, so she gets a shoutout! :)


Here's me with the guys from Lucky 28, a DC-area band. Their sound brings me back to the 70's - think BeeGee's meets Bread. They're fans of my music too, which is really cool to get from others involved in the same art.
Anyway, it's been a relatively calmer week. Had a chance to rehearse with Laura, Jon and Dave (btw the band just joined Twitter! Add them at www.twitter.com/alfamadeustweet!) and got to update the website a bit (www.alfa-music.com). I also played a private show on Friday night for a bunch of partners at a law firm... I can't say much about it for obvious reasons, but enough to say, it was definitely more fun than I thought. I can only hope to get some inspiration from it... law puns are welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment