Monday, November 9, 2009

Deja Vu in Ann Arbor

It was kind of strange being back in Ann Arbor. I'd only spent 2 months last time I was there in '06, but everything kind of came flooding back in the few hours I got to spend wandering the campus with an old friend of mine, Justin, who I'd met back in 2002 in Governor's School and is in Michigan Law now. He had been responsible for booking me at Amherst College 4.5 years ago, and that was the last time we'd seen each other.

Anyway, playing the U. Michigan show was a lot of fun, and everyone was so friendly, gracious and helpful with all the logistical stuff. I spent 30 hours there but it felt so much shorter. It doesn't help when the departure flight required waking up at 4 in the morning - but there you have it! It's late right now, so I will post the few pictures I took another day.

I've got a busy week ahead of me! Fordham U. is on Friday, followed by an 8 a.m. flight to Pittsburgh on Saturday, to speak at Carnegie Mellon. Yes - Speak. You don't understand how nervous that prospect makes me. Give me a guitar and a microphone and it's not a big deal... speaking, in front of a 100 people? Oy, pass me a Motrin. :P

Seriously excited, though. I love challenges, and I guess this is just one of them. I'm supposed to speak about pursuing music for 45 minutes... but part of that will be performing and the other part... I haven't decided yet, but I hope to make it interactive. Goodness knows who'd wanna hear ME drone on for 45 min! =)

Family is trickling into town starting Friday night, from Ohio, Arkansas, Trinidad, et al. I'm sorry that my schedule is as busy as it is while they're around, but I'm going to try to spend as much time with them as I can. At least they'll be around for the Hometown Band Show on the 20th! Wahoo!

More thoughts for now... but I leave you with a quote from a song in my head:

"Tension is to be loved when it is like a passing note to a beautiful, beautiful chord."
- Sixpence None the Richer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My name is Albert Wang; I snooped on your website to find this blog. I go to CMU, and I saw your presentation at Giant Eagle auditorium. I also want to say that we ABSOLUTELY loved your presentation, and it was really inspirational!

    Thank you for coming out!

    ReplyDelete