Thursday, September 3, 2009

Stop Child Trafficking Now

Last night's performance at "Walk the Talk" for Stop Child Trafficking Now was an eye-opening experience for me. I know there are a number of great organizations working towards eradicating child trafficking globally, but I think SCTN has a truly far-reaching approach to their work. Instead of attacking on the supply side - getting the girls and the pimps off the street, which is often temporary because of sheer numbers - SCTN attacks from the demand side. Now I don't know the specifics too well, but the idea is to work on prosecuting pedophiles and getting them into jail. Apparently, they can be prosecuted for 20 years to life for having sex with a minor - the problem is just that we aren't getting enough of these people arrested and jailed. Once arresting pedophiles becomes the norm, we can actually have a shot at curbing demand for child sex and we can shrink the market for this awful practice.


Please take a moment to check out Stop Child Trafficking Now's website and see what it's all about for yourselves. There's no reason any innocent child should have to be put through this atrocity: sctnow.org.


Also, somewhat in conjunction with this... I wanted to share the latest from Jeremy Manongdo (aka Passion). It's not dealing with child trafficking directly, but was just a shot of inspiration for me...a reminder to stop looking at ourselves and putting weight on our petty problems, but to start looking outward and gearing our lives towards others. I know this has been a challenge for me, but listening to this gave me motivation to change my perspective on this... life, music, everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jGLFBpeTKg.


Thanks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment