Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Mid-December; digging out thermals.

The cold is a daily fixture now, creeping in despite the sun; making things still and forcing the hurried mind to slow. I am grateful that "cold" in LA is in the 40's-50's. See, I'm headed for Chicago this weekend, where it's more like 18 degrees. Brrr.  I'll have to dig out the thermals.

But despite that, I am happy to be able to go back and headline for Mt. Prospect's fundraiser event to benefit victims of Typhoon Haiyan and the recent Illinois tornadoes.  I got a call a few weeks ago from an acquaintance I'd made out there, who owns the beautiful E+O restaurant out in the suburb.  I don't know what made him think of me, but I'm grateful.  Chicago will become my most-visited city in 2013.  I think this will be my 4th trip out there this year.

Speaking of benefits, my songwriter friend Andrew Abaria and I put together a fundraiser concert this weekend at his gorgeous home in Silver Lake. We raised $900 for Direct Relief's efforts in the Philippines and got 4 boxes worth of clothing to donate to my family's church in Bohol, which is distributing goods to the earthquake victims.  I couldn't help but think about how lucky we are, as I folded well-made polo shirts, designer jeans and intricately woven blouses into Atlas shipping boxes. How lucky we can give this stuff away.  How insane there are people in this world who don't even have a reliable set of clothing to wear every day.
Austin, Rob and me putting together the last of the clothing donations.

Meanwhile, I'm getting together the December songwriter's Round at The Renaissance on Friday, which I'll be playing along with some other new LA songwriters I've met.  And then debuting the "Cup of Coffee" music video tomorrow.  I am really excited for this one.  I was a little unsure at first - thought the whole ordeal was too made up for me - but now...now I think it's just right.  For as much as it's about sticking to your guns, being an artist is also about trying out new experiences. And that's definitely how I see the whole experience of shooting this music video. 


Oh, by the way. I almost forgot. I was featured in Candy Magazine in this month's issue!  Kind of awesome.  The shot is below.  I've never seen Friday Night Lights, but it sounds like a neat comparison... 




No comments:

Post a Comment