Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013, you wonderful thing of beauty, you.

I must be the only person in the world who wants to curl up in a self-made fort and spend New Year's Eve in solitude and safe comfort.  It's not that I don't want 2014 to come, it's just that 2013 has been one of the biggest years in my life and I don't know what to expect now. I am both overwhelmed by things still to come (in goals personal and professional), and thinking that the new year could only underwhelm after the accomplishments of 2013.  So, my gut reaction is to be silent and look inward for answers, maybe look outward in honest prayer.

2013 was the year I released "World Go Blue," got radio play and press coverage nationally, toured the U.S. and the Philippines, learned how to be a better performer, got a manager, heard my song on E!, got a piano endorsement from Kawai, made 2 music videos, traveled every month except two (May and July), and started hosting a songwriter's round; I saw my best friend lose her mom, get engaged, get married twice (with me as her maid of honor both times), and have a baby; 2013 was the year my dad reached out for the first time in almost 10 years, the year I got closer to my only direct aunt/uncle/cousins in the U.S.; the year I learned how to savor the simple things with Rob; the year I made stronger friendships in L.A.; the year I collaborated; the year on which I could look back and say, "OK. Leaving the place where I grew up was a good decision."

Thanks 2013.  And 2014, I hope you understand why I'm a little hesitant to find out what you have in store.
But perhaps now I should just be proud of what happened and be inspired by the potential of things to come.  Life is still writing itself, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment