Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sun and rain and walking on airplane wings.

June came and went, and there were 8 days of sun and many days of rain... it was a challenging month for me, as I settled back after a week of West Coast freedom and realized that the gap between work life (aka the Day Job) and music life (aka the Better Job) is really a gaping hole waiting for internal combustion.

I had the chance to speak with an old friend and somewhat successful songwriter/performer last week over dinner at the Stage Door Diner in midtown. He told me what I have increasingly come to feel, but of which I am still admittedly afraid. All that's left for me to do, he said, is take that leap. Do music full-time, or at least, make it the dominant part of every day. It's been on my mind ever since and I've gotten the opinions of a few folks. Everyone's been supportive. I guess the doubt really comes down to just me.

It isn't easy coming from the background, family and experiences I come from and just let go. I know they're no excuses. But it's like the "principle of wing-walking" that my IR professor used to bring up in class (as I recall, he gave me the lowest grade I ever got on a final in college). If, ever, you were to find yourself on the wing of an airplane, maybe you could tell me if this one's accurate. . . but it goes to say that the "principle of wing-walking" is the reason why people don't change course immediately; why they are afraid to make the next step and would rather stand still, where it feels remotely secure. The funny thing is, if you're walking on an airplane wing, you're not secure at all, are you? :)

The good news is, I'm starting to pick up my guitar and just play again...so maybe those creative juices are coming back after a year.
The bad news is my voice has never been 100% since I got back... so I'm up against a challenge on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment